COVID-19 Update: We are open and serving our clients. Learn More >>>
Stephen Bilkis
Justice For The Injured! 800.696.9529 Request A Free Consultation

Bronx Registration and Insurance Requirements

While the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) established rules regarding the safe operation of commercial trucks, the states also have set rules regulating trucks that travel across their roadways. Such requirements include rules related to registration and insurance. Each year there are over 350,000 accidents involving large commercial trucks such as semis. While any type of auto accident such as a car accident or a motorcycle accident can be devastating, when a large truck is involved it is more likely that victims will suffer serious personal injury such as broken bones, internal injuries, contusions, a brain injury, amputations, paralysis, or spinal cord injury. When a truck is involved in an accident, whether or not the trucking company followed property insurance and registration regulations will become a factor in the investigation of the accident. If you were injured in a truck accident, it is important that you immediately contact a Bronx Registration and Insurance Requirements Accident Lawyer as you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You will also be entitled to compensation for any medical malpractice claim that arises based on treatment you received for the truck accident injuries.

Registration and Insurance Requirements

Trucks that are subject to FMCSA oversight must also get a USDOT number which will be used as part of FMCSA registration. FMCSA registration requirements include:

  • Determine FMCSA registration requirements, including securing a USDOT Number and Hazardous Materials Safety Permit Registration if necessary
  • Complete FMCSA Application Process
  • Determine State notification/registration requirements
  • Begin New Entrant Safety Assurance Program
  • Obtain permanent USDOT registration
  • Maintain/Update USDOT Number and Operating Authority information

In addition, under the International Registration Plan (IPR), when a commercial truck operates in more than one state, special registration fee must be paid. The IPR allows fees to be paid to the various states in which the trucks operate while only having one license plate and one cab card. A cab card is the official document that shows which states the truck is allowed to travel in. The cab card cannot be transferred from truck to truck. In order to be properly registered in New York, the trucking company must carry the proper insurance.

Insurance Requirements

The FMCSA requires that trucking companies have insurance. The type of insurance and the amounts depend on a number of factors including the type of cargo the truck is authorized to carry and the size of the truck.

Pursuing a Claim for a Truck Accident

Truck accidents happen for many different reasons, many of which involve the negligence of the truck driver or trucking company. Whatever the cause of the accident, a truck accident often had devastating results. Because of the size and weight of large trucks, even low-impact, low-speed accidents can have catastrophic results. Through a personal injury lawsuit, New York law allows you to hold the negligent party responsible for the losses you suffered. Victims who suffer serious injuries in truck accidents have significant medical bills. In addition, because victims of serious injuries often have to miss a great deal of work or are unable to return to work at all, victims have the right to sue for lost wages and loss of earning capacity. If a family member was killed in a truck accident, you may be able to pursue damages in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Beware that New York law has a specific time limit for filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim. If you do not file your claim within the time period, you will be forever barred from collecting damages even if your case has merit.

Bronx Registration and Insurance Requirements Accident Lawyer

Because of the federal and state laws related to commercial truck registration, insurance, and operation, when an accident occurs resolving liability can be complicated, tedious, and frustrating. In order to ensure that your rights are protected it is important that you are represented by someone with experience. Contact Stephen Bilkis & Associates, PLLC to discuss the details of your case. Our staff is experienced in handling claims resulting from truck accidents, as well as SUV accidents, car accidents, and motorcycle accidents. Contact us at 800.696.9529 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your case.

800.696.9529 - 800.696.9529